Skip to main content

LeBron James


    Growing up, I fell in love with the game of basketball, and people would always ask me how I did, and the answer is simple, LeBron James. Being a young kid that is from Northwestern Ohio, I watched LeBron play every night on Fox Sports Ohio when he played for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and I mean every single game he played for the Cavaliers. I remember watching him wear #23 and put on for the state of Ohio and he is 100 percent of the reason I now where #23 for Ohio Northern and why I even play basketball. 

    LeBron came into the NBA in 2003, and even though I was only four years old, I still remember everything about it. He came from a very prestige high school in Ohio called Akron St. Vincent St Mary's where the arena is now named after him and his number is retired. At St. Vincent, he won 3 state titles and won Mr. Basketball 3 times, both an Ohio record. Lebron actually played a team in my conference in high school, Ottawa Glandorf and beat them both times, which I thought was very cool. Of course, when people ask me who I think the greatest of all time is, my answer will always be LeBron, forever and always, he is what I grew up watching and my biggest role model, so my answer will never change.

    Once LeBron left Cleveland the first time, I was very upset, just like every other person who loved him, but of course I then became a Miami Heat fan the next four years where he went on to win two NBA titles with Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade, and it was a fun time in my life. Then, as everyone knows he came back to Cleveland for a couple more seasons, and lived up to his life time promise in 2016 when he brought an NBA championship back to the City of Cleveland and that was the only time I have ever cried over a professional sport because I am a die hard Cleveland fan. It made it even better because they came back from being down 3-1 against the Golden State Warriors and ended up winning in 7 games, which had never been done before. Now, with the Los Angeles Lakers and winning a title there, it has been bittersweet because I know his career is winding down. 

    LeBron, I just want to say thanks for inspiring a young kid from Wapakoneta, Ohio to pick up a basketball, give it all he has everyday and wearing #23 for the King. 

 

Comments

  1. Growing up, I was always a Lakers fan and didn’t really like lebron because I had Kobe and he was my role model and why I love basketball. I remember in elementary school going to the Y and wearing my Kobe jersey and trying to do the moves he had, which usually failed but I wanted to be as good as him. Although I don’t play anymore, I like to bring that same passion he brings to golf and when I’m coaching basketball.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back on Campus

    After a much needed time off from athletics and academics, it is great to be back on campus. I was very thrilled to go home for a couple of long days. I wasn't only happy to go home because it was first time home in a month, but also because it will be last time home till Thanksgiving. We start our first week of practice this Friday and once that starts it is almost impossible to go home, so I made sure to enjoy my break.             I have always cherished my time I get when I am back home because you never know what can happen and when it could be your last time. That sounds very straight-forward but is the reality of life. As I stated, we start our basketball season this week and I am beyond focused and ready to start my third year on the basketball court. I am especially excited this year because I know the potential this team has this season especially since we are a lot older and more experienced now.      In the...

The Guardiac Kids

    The Guardiac kids, also known as the Cleveland Guardians, were one of the most fun teams to watch in the league this year. A team made up of the lowest payroll, lowest experience and the youngest team in the league made the second round of the playoffs and took the "best" team in baseball to a final game in the American League Division Series, before losing last night. I watched over 50 games this year, and every game had so much life and excitement to it.      This past Sunday night, I attended game 4 against the New York Yankees in Cleveland and it was an experience of a lifetime. I got free tickets and a parking pass and had fantastic seats for a chance to watch history. We arrived early and explored beautiful downtown Cleveland. Cleveland is a place I have always loved and enjoyed being there and exploring. Once in the stadium, it was so great to be back. The smell of baseball was in the air, and it was contagious. With over 38,000 people in attenda...

First Game, First Win

    Last night, we opened up with the first game of our season and the first game of my senior season. We traveled to Oberlin College which is close to the Cleveland area. Since it is closer to Cleveland, it was a long bus ride. The whole bus ride, it really hit me that my senior season is beginning and potentially the last season of my competitive basketball career. Besides that, I knew that this was a huge game, especially being on the road for our first game, it is never easy. I won't lie, I felt very confident about our chances going into the game.      We arrived at Oberlin, and the butterflies began to hit me for the first time in a long time. A new coach, senior season, high expectations, and the first game all added up to some nervousness. This game was a huge game for us if we want to change the culture of Ohio Northern Basketball. The ball tipped up and the game began. We definitely came out as I expected; a little sloppy but also nervous and hesitant....