Skip to main content

Chapter 1 - Principles of Social Media

 After going through and learning about Chapter 1 in Principles of Social Media I am already excited about it and the different things we can learn. I was shocked to learn that 67% of the world uses a social media platform, I figured that number would be 80% or higher when you think about the amount of devices and social media sites that are in the world.

A big thing we learned about was the advantages and disadvantages, and it was good to hear some of the ideas. I know that my favorite thing about social media and one of the biggest advantages is being able to promote yourself and get your name out there. Especially for me being an athlete, the NCAA passed a law that you can make money of your name, image, and likeness so having social media for that reason can be a big advantage. Secondly, is also being able to stay up to date with family and friends, especially the ones that you don't get to see very often. I know I use social media a lot and just my phone in general to stay in touch with my close family while I am away at school, so it is nice to have. I enjoy snapchat the most, especially being a younger kid, and I enjoy being able to see snapchat memories pop up, whether good or bad I enjoy them. Especially being able to see things from 4+ years ago. 

Just like everything, there is also disadvantages to social media. For example, cyber bullying has sadly became very big on social media. Negative comments towards people about anything and everything and I hate to see it. Other negatives can also be that it gives of false perceptions on people and the life they live and it can make you feel jealous or different because of it. 

I have truly met some great friends through social media and have done some great things with it. I firmly believe the positives outweigh the negatives in this situation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back on Campus

    After a much needed time off from athletics and academics, it is great to be back on campus. I was very thrilled to go home for a couple of long days. I wasn't only happy to go home because it was first time home in a month, but also because it will be last time home till Thanksgiving. We start our first week of practice this Friday and once that starts it is almost impossible to go home, so I made sure to enjoy my break.             I have always cherished my time I get when I am back home because you never know what can happen and when it could be your last time. That sounds very straight-forward but is the reality of life. As I stated, we start our basketball season this week and I am beyond focused and ready to start my third year on the basketball court. I am especially excited this year because I know the potential this team has this season especially since we are a lot older and more experienced now.      In the...

The Guardiac Kids

    The Guardiac kids, also known as the Cleveland Guardians, were one of the most fun teams to watch in the league this year. A team made up of the lowest payroll, lowest experience and the youngest team in the league made the second round of the playoffs and took the "best" team in baseball to a final game in the American League Division Series, before losing last night. I watched over 50 games this year, and every game had so much life and excitement to it.      This past Sunday night, I attended game 4 against the New York Yankees in Cleveland and it was an experience of a lifetime. I got free tickets and a parking pass and had fantastic seats for a chance to watch history. We arrived early and explored beautiful downtown Cleveland. Cleveland is a place I have always loved and enjoyed being there and exploring. Once in the stadium, it was so great to be back. The smell of baseball was in the air, and it was contagious. With over 38,000 people in attenda...

First Game, First Win

    Last night, we opened up with the first game of our season and the first game of my senior season. We traveled to Oberlin College which is close to the Cleveland area. Since it is closer to Cleveland, it was a long bus ride. The whole bus ride, it really hit me that my senior season is beginning and potentially the last season of my competitive basketball career. Besides that, I knew that this was a huge game, especially being on the road for our first game, it is never easy. I won't lie, I felt very confident about our chances going into the game.      We arrived at Oberlin, and the butterflies began to hit me for the first time in a long time. A new coach, senior season, high expectations, and the first game all added up to some nervousness. This game was a huge game for us if we want to change the culture of Ohio Northern Basketball. The ball tipped up and the game began. We definitely came out as I expected; a little sloppy but also nervous and hesitant....